These days, you have a plethora of social media sites. People log into their social sites for various reasons. With social media accessibility increasing, people have started to share their areas of concern. If they are happy, they post and tweet. If they are upset, they post and tweet. People log into their social sites to the extent that if they are unhappy with a product or service, they tweet and post.
A negative tweet or post can spread like wildfire. A couple of these could cause a lot of damage to a brand / business house. What’s more is that search engines throw up results from social media sites as well. This is the reason why most companies have commenced with social media and many more are contemplating about this endeavor.
If you are conversant and know your way around social media sites, then at least the next couple of years seem to be lucrative for you. Social media is here to stay. You need to know a couple of things before commencing with your freelance social media endeavor.
Qualifications and skills you should possess as a social media professional:
- The first obvious skill set is that you genuinely like to connect and build contacts. You like to network. However, you do not cross the line of professionalism.
- You would be spending most of your time on social sites and would be utilizing the site for various reasons. For instance, you would be consuming news via the social sites.
- As a social media professional, you would be having your blog and social site, wherein you would be marketing your services.
- Clients and customers would connect via the social sites at any time; one cannot restrict them. You should be aware of the listening tools – tools that enable you to know who is talking about your client’s brand, business, competitors and so on.
- You should be conversant with brand personality. You should understand what the personality is and behave on your client’s social page accordingly. For instance, a financial brand would behave differently and an fmcg would behave differently.
- You should be able to understand the customer mindset – how they feel and understand your client’s brand, category and so on. You need to know how the customers are involved on the social sites.
- You should be well versed with direct marketing, public relations and mass media. You should know the online mediums.
- You should be well versed with on-page SEO require sites. You need not be a technical person who does off -page SEO; however, on-page SEO knowledge is critical.
- Keywords are critical and you should know what the requirements are.
- You should possess flair to write articles and blogs.
As a freelance social media professional, you can procure your projects in a couple of ways:
- Firstly, you should try to gain your clients by your own social media efforts. This would prove that you are carrying out the social media work in the right direction.
- You could also get your freelance projects via freelance job sites.
- You can directly approach corporations and business houses.
You will be able to enhance your skills with practice; don’t hesitate to consider freelancing as a social media professional